The city of Madrid has an average of 90 days of rain per year. If you are unlucky enough to visit on one of them, you might be wondering what to do in Madrid when it rains. Here are 5 epic things to do on a rainy day in the city.
What to do in Madrid when it rains? 5 epic things to do on a rainy day
1. What to do in Madrid when it rains? Indoors Markets
There was a time in Spain where everyone went to the market to get their groceries. While today you still find markets for grocery shopping you will also find reconverted markets i that are now food pop ups and lovely spaces to enjoy.
In Madrid everyone knows the very famous Mercado de San Miguel, but you can also check out Mercado de la Cebada, where you will find groceries, clothes and much more, or Mercado de San Antón and Mercado de Antón Martín, where you will find both groceries and bars.
2. Things to do in Madrid when it rains : WOW, for shopping with a twist
In Gran Via 18, there is a pretty trendy new place located in a building that was first an hotel and then the Central Bank.
WOW is a concept store where you will find beauty, fashion, tech and a very modern unique space. Every floor is a new experience and it is worth a visit even if you do not intend to buy anything.
On the upper levels you will also find restaurants and bars.
Do you need accommodation in Madrid?
- If you need accommodation in Madrid this hotel near Atocha station is basic but with great reviews.
- If you are staying longer and you want more facilities, check these apartments, a bit further away from the station (30 min walk), but recently renovated and looking pretty epic!
3. A hamman in the heart of Madrid
Located in Calle Atocha and built on the ruins of some Roman terms, Hamman Al Andalus is an oasis in the centre of Madrid.
You can treat yourself to a spa session around their terms or something more elaborate adding a massage or a hamman treatment.
4. What to do in Madrid when it rains? Prado Museum
A great choice to hide from the rain but soak up some culture. Wondering around this very special place is free from 18:00 to 20:00 Monday to Saturday and from 17:00 to 19:00 Sundays and bank holidays.
However, if you would rather do your visit with an expert art guide you can opt for a guided tour to learn more about the museum’s masterpieces.
5. Things to do in Madrid on a Madrid rainy day. A very Spanish evening in a Flamenco show
Dating back to the 1960 this place offers a very exciting flamenco singing and dancing show.
The setting is very special, recreating the flamenco places in Granada, where it was born.
They have few shows everyday so you can pick the most convenient time for you and pop by whenever is most convenient.
They offer tickets with food, but as it caters for tourists we will not recommend eating in. You will be better of having your tapas in a less touristic restaurant.
Save money on your trip to discover what to do in Madrid when it rains
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.