Many guides will tell you what to do and visit but we will share with you 3 unusual things to do in San Sebastian, Spain to feel like Royalty.
San Sebastian (or “Donosti” in Euskera) is without a doubt one of the most beautiful cities in Spain.
Located in Basque Country – a mere 20km away from the French border – this charming city boasts some pretty romantic art nouveau architecture and a culinary scene that will leave you with memories that will last a lifetime.
3 unusual things to do in San Sebastian, Spain to feel like an Aristocrat
- 1. The most unusual thing to do in San Sebastian: Drinks in Hotel Maria Cristina to feel like an old Hollywood star
- 2. Feast time! Pintxos Tour in the old town
- 3. La Perla Spa in La Concha beach, a very traditional things to do in San Sebastian, Spain
Hotel Maria Cristina is a great symbol of the charm of the Belle Epoque. Its majestic architecture will transport you to the charming XIX century and will give you the opportunity to feel like a member of high society.
Since it opened in 1912 it has become a favourite destination for royalty and aristocrats visiting San Sebastian. Nowadays, it is still the accommodation of choice for international movie stars attending the San Sebastian Movie Festival.
While staying in the hotel is not for every budget you are always welcome to pop by for a drink. Dress for the occasion and head to their Dry Bar. You will truly feel a part of the old Hollywood glamour.
If you are on a budget an do not want to spend much in accommodation we stayed in Pension Aida. It is a basic hotel but renovated and in a very good location. We paid 49,50€ per night for a double room and will very likely stay there again as, unless we get rich sometime soon, we would rather spend most of the budget on food!
2. Feast time! Pintxos Tour in the old town
People from Basque Country are famous for enjoying a good feast. It is no coincidence that the region is the place in Spain with the most Michelin star restaurants per inhabitant.
And one of their most famous delicacies are Pintxos. The most accurate translation for Pintxos will be skewers or spikes. But what are Pinxtos? They are literally a slice of bread with food on top, and are generally served with a skewer or toothpick to hold it all together.
What makes Pintxos special is however the food you put on top of the bread as it can be as elaborate as the dishes served in a Michelin star restaurant.
Generally, when entering a Pinxtos bar in San Sebastian you will find them in display at the bar. Now is up to you to pick the ones that catch your eye!
Eating Pinxtos in San Sebastian has been awarded by Lonely Planet as one of the best food experiences of the world.
Head to the Plaza de la Constitución and get lost in the lovely streets of the historic city centre stopping in as many Pintxos places as you can!
If you want to keep it simple here you can reserve an organized pintxos tour in the city.
3. La Perla Spa in La Concha beach, a very traditional things to do in San Sebastian, Spain
This peculiar spa was built in 1887 to accommodate the needs of the European aristocracy. Back then it was the most modern Spa facility in the world.
Located right on La Concha beach, its name “La Perla” refers to the original name of the Spa: “The pearl of the ocean”.
The facility uses the water from the nearby sea and has direct access to La Concha.
If you want to enjoy it like a local you cannot miss the opportunity to take a dip the sea, an extremely invigorating experience as the temperature of the water drops to just 13°C in winter.
Useful information about if you visit San Sebastian, Spain to experience some unusual things to do
- We stayed in Pension Aida. It is a basic hotel with everything you need and very interesting prices if you are looking for affordable accommodation. You can check it via Booking.com here >> Pension Aida.
- If you want to know more about the city check this >> Free walking tour of the historic centre
- The closest airport is San Sebastian. It takes half an hour drive to get to the city. If you need airport transfer >> check Civitatis here.
We hope with these unusual things to do you will feel fully set to enjoy San Sebastian like a Royal!
Save money on your trip to Spain!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.