La Tomatina festival, in Spain, is, with no doubt, one of the most insane festivities all over the world and a great example of Spanish eccentricity. Have a look at these 10 facts about La Tomatina festival that will amuse and surprise you!
La Tomatina Festival in Spain. 10 facts that will amuse you
1. La Tomatina festival in fact does not happens on the same day every year
It takes place on the last Wednesday of August.
2. The festival provide the tomatos you throw
You do not need to bring your own.
3. An unknown fact about the Tomatina festival: You need a ticket to participate
4. La Tomatina Festival has been happening in Spain for more than 70 years
The first one happened in 1945.
5. It was originally a fight
It all began with a group of youngsters that found a parade boring and decided to start messing around.
While trying to get into the parade they accidentally pushed a man, who fell and got real pissed. Full of anger, he started throwing everything available at this group of fools.
The crowd, angry at the stupid teenagers, started throwing things at them too.
6. A fun fact about the Tomatina Festival: At first it wasn't just tomatoes
The angry man from the first Tomatina started throwing whatever he found, and that was vegetables from the nearby market stall. Today people replicate it with tomatoes.
7. Teenagers made it a tradition
While the police stopped the street fight when it happened the first time they could not stop the teenagers doing it again the year after, just for fun.
7. La Tomatina festival was in fact forbidden in Spain for a while
The town forbid the Tomatina festival in the early fifties, but the villagers did not give up and kept doing it even when it meant getting arrested for it.
It also did not happen during the Covid pandemic.
8. The TV made it popular
It became popular in 1983 after a TV report showed it on national television. People in Spain got interested and every year more and more people showed up to see what was it all about.
When La Tomatina caught the attention of the international TV channels, people from all over the world started coming to Spain to participate in this bizarre fight. Attendees include celebrities like Blake Lively.
9. La Tomatina festival facts: It gets very busy
Around 20.000 people get together in the Valencian village of Buñol to take part into the weirdest food fight in the world.
10. An insane amount of tomatoes get thrown
Around 160.000 kilos of tomatoes are used every year.
Useful information to get to the Tomatina Festival
It happens in Buñol, a village outside the city of Valencia accessible by train. The ride costs less than 4€ and takes around 1 hour.
Accommodation in Buñol
The place gets busy so if you are planning to attend get your accommodation as soon as you can. With booking you can book with free cancelation just in case!
- If you like Spanish festival you might enjoy this post with 5 interesting facts about Easter in Spain.
Save money on your trip to La Tomatina Festival in Spain and learn more facts!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.