If you visit Gran Canaria do not miss out list with 10 cool things to do in Las Palmas to enjoy the capital like a local.
10 cool things to do in Las Palmas to enjoy the capital like a local
1. Playa de las Canteras, the urban beach
Our favorite place in Las Palmas, the stunning beach you will find in the capital. Along the beach you will find endless restaurants and cafes and you will enjoy white sands on one side and black sand in the sport area, a must see if you like surf.
2. Things to do in Las Palmas: The Auditorium
Located by the end of Las Canteras this stunning building works as theater. Seeing from outside is a must if you are around.
If you wish to attend a show please suscribe to their newsletter as on Mondays they release tickets with special prices.
3. El Mirador del Atlante
If you keep walking and pass the auditorium there is path that will take you to El Mirador del Atlante, a statue made of volcanic remains with a privileged view of Las Canteras. The walk takes around 15 minutes.
4. Things to do in Las Palmas: Vegueta
Vegueta is the historical city centre and the most beautiful neibourhood. Pebble streets, colorful typical houses and a beautiful atmosphere will welcome you. You will find in Vegueta some of the most famous tourist attractions.
5. Santa Ana Cathedral
A must if you visit Las Palmas, located in Vegueta. It is the most important religious building of the island and one of the most beautiful. It is located in the square with the same name famous for its dog statues.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
6. Things to do in Las Palmas: Casa de Colon
Christopher Columbus (Cristóbal Colón in Spanish) stopped in Gran Canaria before heading to America in 1942. The houses he lived in is now a museum. You will find reconstructions of the boats he sailed in along with exhibits about his travels.
You need a ticket to get in but the entrance is free on Sundays.
7. Triana, a beautiful comercial area
A beautiful pederastian only road with plenty of shops and restaurants, it is located in front of Vegueta so you can visit them both on the same day.
Triana is the to go place on the eve of the 5th of January before the arrival of the 3 Wise Men to the Spanish houses. Shops stay open until midnight for late shopping and most of the bars have music and pop up bars.
8. Plaza de Cairasco
A beautiful square you will find as you make your way from Vegueta to Triana. It has some cafes and a stunning view of one of the most historical buildings in the island, Gabinete Literario.
9. Things to do in Las Palmas: Parque Doramas
A park in the city located between the historical city centre and the Las Canteras beach area. You can have a walk around and have a drink in its cafeteria.
10. Parque Santa Catalina
While not particularly beautiful this square is the place where the main events happen in the capital. It is where the carnival takes place along with music festivals and so on. You will find nearby a bus station, the aquarium and the science museum.
Save money on your trip to enjoy the 10 things to do in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.