It is said about Gran Canaria is a miniature continent as you can find all sort of weather forecast depending on where you are in the island. If you go up to the mountains you are likely to find rain but if you are unlucky enough to find yourself with bad weather during your holiday we hope this list of things to do in Gran Canaria when it rains will keep you entertained.
5 Things to do in Gran Canaria when it rains
1. Rain in Gran Canaria? Relax at a Spa
Make the most of the rainy day relaxing in one of the lovely spas you can find in Gran Canaria. Many hotels offer spa services with saunas, massages and other treatments. The one in the Parador in Tejeda enjoys some crazy wonderful views and the Talaso Spa in the hotel Gloria Palace, in Amadores, is everyone’s favorite in the south.
2. The coolest Museums, the best thing to do in Gran Canaria when it rains
If you encounter a rainy day you might as well use it to visit the most famous museums and landmarks. Vegueta, in Las Palmas has most of them. You can visit the cathedral, the Christofer Columbus Museum – he stopped in Gran Canaria before heading to America- and the Museo Canario, with plenty information about the original inhabitants of the island.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
3. A long lovely lunch Spanish style
Meals in Spain are not only delicious but also long. Treat yourself to the culinary specialties of the island and enjoy a lunch in no rush, finishing the Spanish way with a desert, coffee and, if you are feeling up for it, a liquor or drink!
4. Things to do in Gran Canaria when it rains: Visit the lovely small countryside villages
Save the coastal towns for a sunny day, grab a jacket and head to the country. Our favorite villages are Arucas, with its stunning black cathedral, Teror, with its lovely streets and their local chorizo spread – chorizo de Teror -, and Tejeda, with some of the most spectacular views.
5. Feeling adventurous? Take a surf class!
You re going to get wet anyway so if the weather does not call for storms head to La Cicer, the area of Las Canteras closer to the Alfredo Klaus auditorium, and enroll in a surf class in one of the many surf schools you will find around.
Weather in Gran Canaria can be quite unpredictable at times so we hope this list will give you a back up plan if rains decides to make an appearance during your holiday.
Save money on your trip to discover all the things to do in Gran Canaria when it rains!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.