The Fallas festival is the most iconic tradition of the city of Valencia. There are many things to do during Fallas in Valencia in 2022 and we hope this list with the main events happening in the city for the festivities helps you fully enjoy them.
Fireworks, firecrackers, and ultimately, fire take over the city of Valencia from the 1st to the 19th of March.
Things to do in Fallas in Valencia. The main events in Fallas 2022
Fallas Valencia 2022. The main events
Despertaes. The earliest thing to do in Fallas
That is when, in the early morning, people belonging to a Falla association go around the neighbourhood throwing firecrackers to wake people up. This will happen every morning during Fallas.
It’s the set up of the sculptures, when they put them together and release them to the public. It officially happens on the 16th of March, but, as it takes a while to put them together, if you go before this date you are likely to see them, they will just not be fully assembled.
- If you are looking for a place to stay on a budget Venecia Plaza Centro, a basic but functional hotel located right in the City Hall Square and just a short 3 minute walk from the tube and train stations. Have a look here>
- If what you need is a special occasion hotel do not miss Palacio Vallier, a reconverted nineteenth century palace. Have a look here>
Mascletaes. The most noisy thing to do in Fallas in Valencia 2022
The very iconic loud fireworks display (just noise, not “pretty” fireworks). They will happen every day during Fallas (from the 1st to the 19th of March) at 2pm at the city hall square (Plaza del Ayuntamiento).
Verbenas. They come back for Fallas in Valencia in 2022 with limitations
Verbenas are the street parties will live music and pop up bars that happen in every neighbourhood during Fallas. Most of the big Fallas associations host a verbena and you will find them in most areas all over the city.
The most famous ones are in El Carmen and Ruzafa. Some of them are private events but most are open to the general public. The biggest parties will take place on the 16th, 17th and 18th of March.
On the 17th and the 18th from 15:30 until midnight there will be a parade of Falleros (people dressed with the traditional Fallas costume) bringing flowers to Our Lady of the Forsaken, a Virgin Mary’s sculpture located in the Plaza de la Virgen made with flowers.
In the night, fireworks will happen at different locations of the city. The main ones are as follows:
- L’Albà de les Falles. On the 15th at midnight they will happen all over the city and there will be a big one in the City Hall square (Plaza del Ayuntamiento)
- At midnight on the 16th they will happen in Paseo de la Alameda.
- On the 17th at 1:00 am they will happen in Paseo de la Alameda.
- Nit del Foc (The night of fire). On the 18th at 1:30 am they will happen in Paseo de la Alameda.
On the 19th of March one of the most spectacular events takes place, the Cremà. It is the burning of the Fallas (the sculptures). They start burning the children’s ones from 8 pm and continue with the big ones from 10pm.
Local things to do in Fallas
Dress the part. It is typical for locals to wear a Fallas scarf or blouse. Many shops sell them, they are blue with white lines
Throw firecrackers. You can purchase them in authorised stores.
Eat some churros. During fallas you will find pop up churros stores all over town.
Save money on your trip to Spain!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.