The coastal village of Hondarribia, in Basque Country, is one of the most charming villages in Spain. Walking around will make you feel like you’re in a fairytale. We bring you the best things to do in Hondarribia, Spain and the experiences you can not miss!
Hondarribia, Spain. Things to do in the fairy tale village where France meets Pintxos
Things to do in Hondarribia, Spain
Hondarribia is not very big and the best way to explore the city is strolling around and getting lost in their alleys. However, make sure to check out the following places in your walkabouts:
- Puerta de Santa Maria. The old entrance to the city.
- Kale Nagusia. The main road.
- Plaza del Obispo (Apezpiku). One of the oldest squares in the village.
- Santa Maria de la Asunción y del Manzano church. A gothic church built over the old city wall.
- Plaza de Armas. The most beautiful square in the city, surrounded by colourful traditional houses.
- Plaza de Guipuzcua. A medieval looking square that will transport you to the past.
- The Marina neighborhood (Portu Auzoa). The area by the port, where the fishermen used to live.
- The local beach. One of the best beaches in the Basque Country.
Our favourite thing to do in Basque Country: Pintxos tour
Basque Country is the land of pintxos and we would never dare making you commit to just one restaurant on your visit.
There is no better way to explore the local gastronomy that making your very own pintxos tour around the village and stopping for one quick beer and bite at every bar.
Some local favourites restaurants for pintxos are Gran Sol, Loretxu Jan-Edan, Sardara and Rafael.
The weather in Hondarribia, Spain
Unlike the common belief, it is not always sunny in Spain. The weather in the north is more similar to the English weather than the Spanish stereotype.
During the summer, temperatures can be up to 26°C but they will drop to 15°C in the evening. During winter, max temperatures are around 13°C and minimum around 1°C.
On average, it rains every other day in Hondarribia, a bit less in summer, so an umbrella is a must.
How to get to the village from San Sebastian
You can drive to Hondarribia from San Sebastian and it will take you around half an hour.
Alternatively, if you would rather use public transport, you can take the E20 bus from San Sebastian (Plaza Guipuzcua) to Hondarribia. You can check the bus times from San Sebastian to Hondarribia here>
Save money on your trip to experience all the things to do in Hondarribia, Spain
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.