The natural wonders of the island have been featured in many productions, some of the them big Hollywood films. Discover the 5 more famous Tv shows and movies filmed in Gran Canaria.
5 Tv Shows and movies filmed in Gran Canaria
1. Wild Oats
An American comedy with huge movie stars Shirley MacLaine, Jessica Lange and Demi Moore.
In the movie, Eva has just become a widow and got a 5 million check by mistake. She decides to get her best friend and travel to Gran Canaria for the time of their lives. However, they end up being look for by the police.
Most of the movie has filmed in Lopesan Costa Melonera, an hotel in the south of the island. Other scenes took place in the capital in locations such as Vegueta, Gabinete Literario or Casa Colon.
Directed by Ridley Scott and with Maria Valverde, Christian Bale, Aaron Paul and Joel Edgerton the movie narrates the classic tale of the exodus in the Bible.
While most of the filming took place in Fuerteventura and Almeria some scenes where also filmed around Gran Canaria, particularly its dunes.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
3. Tv Shows filmed in Gran Canaria: The Witcher
The first season of the Witcher was partially filmed in many locations around the island such as the Maspalomas dunes, Roque Nublo, Tejeda, Barranco de Fataga and Agaete.
Filming also took place in the nearby island of La Palma. For the filming, actors and actresses had to spend some time on the island and, as a matter of fact some of them, like Henry Cavill, documented their time in the island in their social media.
4. Movies filmed in Gran Canaria: Too fast too Furious 6
The sixth movie of the famous Hollywood saga was partially filmed in Gran Canaria.
Several nature locations and Puente de Silva where selected to film. Movie star Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Dwayne Johnson and Michelle Rodriguez where not in the island as the clips only included car chases.
The movie was also filmed in Tenerife, where most car shots took place.
5. Movies filmed in Gran Canaria: Allied
Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard filmed in the island of Gran Canaria and crowds were all over them. The filming took place in the streets of the neighbourhood of Vegeta but in the movie it was supposed to be the north of Africa. The Maspalomas dunes where also featured.
Save money on your trip to discover the TV Shows and movies filmed in Gran Canaria!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.