If you visit this wonderful island and are wondering what to eat we bring you the 9 local Gran Canaria foods to try.
What to eat in Gran Canaria? 9 local foods to try
- 1. Papas arrugadas con Mojo
- 2. What to eat in Gran Canaria: Calamari
- 3. Lapas
- 4. Gran Canaria food: Chorizo de Teror
- 5. Octopus with mojo
- 6. Gran Canaria food: Fresh fish
- 7. What to eat in Gran Canaria: Local cheese
- 8. Gran Canaria food: Pata asada
- 9. Gofio
1. Papas arrugadas con Mojo
The most famous dish not only in Gran Canaria but all over the Canaries. You first boil new potatoes and then serve them with mojo, a sauce made with garlic and spices.
2. What to eat in Gran Canaria: Calamari
The local calamari, called subsaharan, is something you can not miss if you are into seafood as it is as fresh as they get. You will find it grilled or breaded (A la romana).
They normally serve it with alioli sauce (Garlic based) and a splash of lemon.
Lapas are a local shellfish, chewier than a mussel and more meaty. They cook them and serve them on a frying pan with a splash of mojo.
4. Gran Canaria food: Chorizo de Teror
A unique spread you will only find in Gran Canaria. They make it exclusively in the village of Teror and typical served in a baguette bread, sometimes with cheese.
5. Octopus with mojo
A local delicacy you will not regret having. The octopus is typically grilled and then served slightly crispy outside and tender inside with a splash of green mojo.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
6. Gran Canaria food: Fresh fish
Being an island it will come as no surprise that you will find plenty of fish. Some local ones are same, tune, hake, grouper and eel.
The way they cook it tends to be quite simple, mostly grilled or fried and often served with new potatoes.
7. What to eat in Gran Canaria: Local cheese
There are many cheeses made in the Canary Islands. The most famous one in gran Canaria is a cured cheese made with goat’s milk called Flor Valsequillo.
8. Gran Canaria food: Pata asada
Pata is a roasted pork ham you will find in most of the bars in Gran Canaria. As it is roasted it is normally pink inside and crispy outside. It is typically served in a baguette bread or as a tapa.
Gofio is a cereal very famous in the Canary Islands. It has many ways to be used but the most popular ones are either for breakfast as a cereal to add to the milk or mixed with fish broth to snack on at lunch.
Save money on your trip to enjoy all the Gran Canaria food!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.