If you are spending Christmas in this sunny island do not miss the list with the 6 things to do in Christmas in Gran Canaria for a very local holiday season.
The 6 Things to do in Christmas in Gran Canaria
1. Christmas in Gran Canaria: Visit the sand Nativity Scene in Playa de las Canteras
A must during Christmas!
A Nativity Scene made of sand is set up every year. It is the biggest outdoors now in Europe and artists from different countries get together to create the most epic scenes telling the story of the birth of Jesus.
You will find in the beach by the Plaza de Saulo Torón. Entry is free.
2. Christmas in Gran Canaria: A visit to theme park Holiday World
Located in the south of the island, Holiday world is a theme park with rides, restaurants, volley alleys and much more!
Around Christmas they have different special event such as markets, parties, visits from Santa and much more.
3. The first swim of the year
With the very fortunate weather you find all year round in Gran Canaria is a very Canarian Christmas tradition to star the year with a dip in the ocean.
The water will likely be very cold but true islanders believe there is no better way to start the year but leaving the previous years problems on the ocean and emerging clean!
4. Christmas in Gran Canaria: The 3 wise men Parade in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
On the 5th of January a parade takes over the capital city with the 3 Wise Men arriving to town – sometimes by boat, sometimes in an helicopter- to bring presents to the kids.
The route normally starts at 17 h in Plaza Manuel Becerra and finishes in Parque de San Telmo.
5. Last minute shopping and drinks in Triana on the 5th
After the 3 Wise men Parade people head to the beautiful shopping area of Triana for shopping and drinks.
As the 6th of January is the main day for presents, stores in the area stay opened to as late as midnight for last minute shoppers.
Meanwhile, restaurants bring pop up bars to the streets turning the area into a live party from as early as lunch.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
6. Christmas Carols at the Auditorium
Around Christmas the Alfredo Kraus auditorium hosts Christmas special events and in most of them the proceedings go to charity.
You will find Christmas Carols concerts, other days the orchestra performs classics from Mozart and Haendel and the famous New Years Eve concert.
Save money on your trip to enjoy Christmas in Gran Canaria and Las Palmas!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.