Everyone knows Manchego but in Spain you will find more than 150 different types. We bring you the 7 most famous and, to our taste, best Spanish cheeses you must try if you are an adventurous cheese lover.
The 6 best Spanish Cheeses you must try if you are an adventurous cheese lover
- 1. Idiazabal, one of the best Spanish cheeses
- 2. Majorero
- 3. Manchego, the most famous of the Spanish cheeses
- 4. Tetilla, the one with the most peculiar shape
- 5. Torta del Casar
- 6. Cabrales, one of the most famous and strongest Spanish cheeses
- 7.Mahon, one of the best
1. Idiazabal, one of the best Spanish cheeses
Originally from Basque Country, but you will also find it in Navarre. It is made with raw sheep milk from a variety you will only find in the region.
Majorero cheese is from the Canary Islands, particularly from Fuerteventura. It is made with milk from a local goat and you normally find it covered with paprika or gofio, a local cereal. The taste depends on the type as you will find it cured or soft.
3. Manchego, the most famous of the Spanish cheeses
Elaborated in Castilla La Mancha with milk from the region’s sheep. It is matured for at least 70 days.
4. Tetilla, the one with the most peculiar shape
A very famous one from Galicia. Tetilla in Spanish will translate as title tit, which is exactly what this cheese looks like. It is elaborated with local cow’s milk. The cheese is soft and slightly creamy.
5. Torta del Casar
A natural organic cheese made with raw sheep milk. While its exterior is hard it is a soft cheese, very creamy and a bit bitter. To eat it you leave it until it reaches room temperature, cut the top lid and eat it as a spread.
6. Cabrales, one of the most famous and strongest Spanish cheeses
Made with milk from cows, sheep and goats from Asturias. The amount of each type of milk depends on the producer, resulting in different flavors.
It is a blue cheese, you will find in it green and blue marks. it taste is strong a a bit acid, only for the more adventurous cheese lovers.
7.Mahon, one of the best
Made exclusively with local cows you only find in the island of Menorca. It is cured and tastes salty and a bit toasted. A must try if you visit the island!
Save money on your trip to try the most famous and best Spanish cheeses!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.