If you visit Spain’s capital city and you love markets do not miss the best mercados in Madrid including El Rastro, the most famous market.
The best mercados in Madrid for markets lover
1. Best markets Madrid: Book Fair Cuesta de Moyano
Located in a pederastian only road called Cuesta de Moyano, near El Retiro Park you will find a book fair that is almost a hundred years old.
It opens everyday and you will find around 30 stands with a huge variety of books, from old editions, to comics and much more.
2. El Rastro, the most famous market in Madrid
An open air pop up market that takes place every Sunday around calle Ribera de Curtidores. You will find hundreds of stools with antiques, clothes, second hand items, books… all you can think of!
It is the quintessential Madrid plan to go have a look around El Rastro on a Sunday morning to then head to a bar around for a drink and a nibble.
3. Mercado de las Ranas
An open door for sort of market in a similar style than Portobello in London. It happens in Barrio de las Letras, where local stores open their doors and bars have special offers for visitors.
It takes place the first Saturday of every month and it was created in order to increase the visitors to the area.
Do you need accommodation in Madrid?
- If you need accommodation in Madrid this hotel near Atocha station is basic but with great reviews.
- If you are staying longer and you want more facilities, check these apartments, a bit further away from the station (30 min walk), but recently renovated and looking pretty epic!
4. Best mercados in Madrid: The farmers’ market Mercado Municipal de Productores Planetario
The first and third Sunday of every month local producers set up a pop up market in Arganzuela, the corner of Avenida del Planetario with Calle Meneses.
You will find oil, meats, vegetables and fruit, juices, cheeses, sweets… and much more!.
5. The painters market
Every Sunday in the Conde de Barajas square since 1984 you can find local artists displaying their creations.
If you fancy getting some art from emergent artists… this is the place.
6. Best mercados in Madrid: Mercado de Motores
The second weekend of each month inside the old train station of Delicias you will find an artisan market, vintage clothes, decorations and more!
Save money on your trip to enjoy the best mercados in Madrid!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.