We have visited and will tell you everything you need to know about Poema del Mar, the new aquarium in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria.
Everything you need to know about Poema del Mar, the Aquarium in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria
- 1. Where is the aquarium in Gran Canaria?
- 2. What’s the price of a ticket?
- 3. Is there anywhere to eat in the aquarium in Gran Canaria?
- 4. How long do I need to see the Aquarium in Gran Canaria?
- 5. What did we think of it?
- 6. How to get to the Aquarium in Las Palmas?
1. Where is the aquarium in Gran Canaria?
Poema del Mar is located in the capital, Las Palmas, around the port and Parque Santa Catalina. If you happen to be on a cruise you will very likely being able to see it from the boat.
2. What’s the price of a ticket?
Tickets for adults cost 25€, for kids 17,50€ and children under 3 years old do not have to pay. They offer discounts for residents of the Canary Islands and year passes.
Do you need accommodation in Gran Canaria?
- If you want to stay in the capital this lovely hotel in Las Canteras beach has a rooftop bar with epic views. It is also located walking distance to Parque Santa Catalina where you can take buses to the south of the island. Rooms from 59€. Check it out in Booking.com here>
- If you would rather stay in the south we loved this all inclusive with Mediterranean vibes and an epic pool!. Check it out in Booking.com here>
3. Is there anywhere to eat in the aquarium in Gran Canaria?
Yes, you will find a cafe and a restaurant. In the cafe you will find snacks, baguettes and pastries at affordable prices. The restaurant has mixed reviews but if you do not have great expectations is probably ok.
4. How long do I need to see the Aquarium in Gran Canaria?
That will depend on how much time you spend in each area, reading signs and so on. We spent a total of 3 hours, stopping for a snack in the bar.
5. What did we think of it?
The displays and set up are stunning and thought after. There were places for the kids to crawl under the tanks and particularly the deep ocean dome was amazing.
However, while it was beautiful and entertaining we were not very impressed considering the price. We have been in other aquariums with more spectacular facilities and species.
Unless you love sea life probably we would recommend to visit only if you are bringing kids. Although we could not help but notice some of the windows to peek inside the tanks where too high for kids to reach.
6. How to get to the Aquarium in Las Palmas?
If you are driving please note they do not have parking facilities. There is a pay parking in front of it or you could park in the shopping centre in front of it. It is called El Muelle and at the time we visited the first 3 hours of parking were free of cost.
If you are traveling from the south of the island as it is located in front of Parque Santa Catalina you can just grab a bus that ends there.
Save money on your trip to the Aquarium in Las Palmas, Gran Canaria!
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.