If you have already checked the Prado Museo and Puerta del Sol check out our list with 10 unique things to to in Madrid to fully enjoy the city like a local. After experiencing these you will be more Spanish than El Quijote!
10 unique things to do in Madrid to enjoy the city like a local
- 1. A very unique thing to do in Madrid: Take a picture from the best rooftop in town
- 2. A very unique food. Calamari bocadillo at Bar Brillante
- 3. Sunset in Templo de Debod
- 4. Discover unique things in Madrid with a free tour
- 5. Churros in Chocolateria San Gines
- 6. El Rastro market on Sunday
- 7. The most peculiar of the 10 unique things to do in Madrid: Pastries from a very special place
- 8. An epic Flamenco show
- 9. Unique things to do in Madrid: Enjoying the famous “huevos estrellados” in Casa Lucio
- 10. The most romantic gardens in town. Los jardines del Campo del Moro
1. A very unique thing to do in Madrid: Take a picture from the best rooftop in town
The epic Rooftop bar 360º in Hotel Riu Plaza España is the to go place to enjoy some of the most stunning panoramic views in town.
The entry costs 5€ Monday to Friday from 11 am to 5 pm and 10€ after that time or weekends and bank holidays.
2. A very unique food. Calamari bocadillo at Bar Brillante
The most famous spot for the most famous baguette in town. Even though the sea is nowhere to be seen, there is nothing that screams Madrid more than enjoying a “bocadillo de calamares” in this local spot. The bar has not changed a bit since it opened in 1961.
3. Sunset in Templo de Debod
A very unique place in town. This peculiar Egiptan temple was donated to Spain by the Egiptian government to avoid it from being underwater after the construction of the Aswan reservoir.
It is one of the most magical spots in town to enjoy the sunset.
4. Discover unique things in Madrid with a free tour
Nothing a free walking tour to have a local show you around, get a taste of the vibe of the city and also get some epic recommendations on local spots to eat!
5. Churros in Chocolateria San Gines
An institution in town, and also one of the oldest churrerías. Not for anything they have been serving churros since 1894. The place is opened everyday but Wednesday to Sunday they are opened 24 hours.
6. El Rastro market on Sunday
El Rastro is a huge flea market that happens every Sunday in the neighbor of La Latina. Antiques, vintage clothes, collector items, books… you name it and it will be in El Rastro.
Spending the morning in the market and then enjoying a vermouth in a terrace around is the most local plan in Madrid for a Sunday.
7. The most peculiar of the 10 unique things to do in Madrid: Pastries from a very special place
Did you know there are cloistered nuns in Madrid? And that they make some of the nicest pastries?
Head to las Carboneras convent and buzz in and say you want to buy sweets. They will let you in and you will reach a device where a voice will ask you what do you want. You pay and your items will be given to you without seeing a soul.
This is something that has been happening since the convent opened in 1605. Pretty epic right?
8. An epic Flamenco show
It is not very known that flamenco is not common all over Spain but comes from the south However, nowadays you can find good show all over the Spanish territory.
If you want to experience this very peculiar way to sing and dance we recommend you pay a visit to this place that puts together a beautiful show. You have the option of also getting a tapas menu to enjoy with it.
9. Unique things to do in Madrid: Enjoying the famous “huevos estrellados” in Casa Lucio
Every celebrity, including EEUU presidents, have stop by this restaurant to enjoy a plate of their famous eggs. If you pay them a visit remember that not ending up dipping the egg jog remains with bread from the plate is pretty much considered a sin in Spain.
10. The most romantic gardens in town. Los jardines del Campo del Moro
Behind the Royal Palace you will find the Campo del Moro gardens, opened from 10 to 19.30. it is one of the least known but most special gardens in town and you will find there some peculiar building like the Queens cottage or Chalé de la Reina.
Save money on your trip to Spain to experience 10 unique things to do in Madrid1
* This blog contains affiliate links. If you purchase or book something, we get a commission at no extra cost to you.